The DebugIT project is a large-scale integrating project funded within the 7th EU Framework Programme (FP7). The main objectives are to build IT tools that should have significant impacts for the monitoring and control of infectious diseases and antimicrobial resistances in Europe. This will be realized by building a technical and semantic infrastructure able to:
- share heterogeneous clinical data sets from different hospitals in different countries, with different languages and legislations
- analyze large amounts of this clinical data with advanced multimedia data mining
- apply the obtained knowledge for clinical decisions and outcome monitoring.
A joint project with the Swiss-Prot research group The Unimed project addresses the important problem of increasing interoperability between data resources from the medical informatics and the bioinformatics domains. We propose to link UniProtKB entries to the two most widely used disease terminologies:
- ICD-10, which is the official disease classification provided by the WHO,
- MeSH, which is the controlled vocabulary thesaurus used for biomedical and health-related document indexing.
The goal of this joint project between the Swiss-Prot group of the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics and the Medical Informatics Service of the University Hospital of Geneva is to explore the development of question-answering systems in functionalgenomics.
The European Network of Excellence for Biomedical Data Mining and Semantic Interoperability aims at bridging gaps in European research infrastructure and facilitating cross-fertilisation between scientific disciplines such as computer science, system engineering and medical/clinical research. The long-term goal of the network is the development of generic methods and tools supporting critical tasks in medical and biomedical informatics, such as, data-mining, knowledge discovery, knowledge representation, abstraction and indexing of information, semantic-based information retrieval in a complex and high-dimensional information space, and knowledge based adaptive systems for provision of decision support for dissemination of evidence based medicine.